Wujido 101: Basic Kicking method; the Front Kick

rkfk3

Applying the 5 Section Kick Method

The fundamental kicking methods are four; the front kick, the roundhouse kick, the heel kick, and the back kick.  From these four kicks derive the majority of the advanced dynamic kicks that are common to almost all martial arts styles that utilize kicks as a main feature.  This means Karate, Tae kwon do, Kungfu, Muay Tai, and even Savate and other lesser known styles.

Each style has their own special nuance to the performance of these most fundamental kicks and also different emphasis and similar training methods with some exceptions.  The Wujido follow the method of establishing the correct joint configuration that produces the optimal efficiency, speed and power and when systemically applied with care and mindfulness will produce the best results.

That method is what we call the 5 Section method.  This is one of the most powerful methods for building a solid kick emphasizing the characteristics of speed, power, and precision.  Styles that utilize this approach are Wujido (Wuxing Bafa Liuhe Quan, Kyoshinkai Karate, Taiwei Guoshu wushu). All of these systems demonstrate the most powerful strikes and kicks of all the styles known.

The Front Kick

The front kick is the most fundamental and important kick of all kick.  First because it is the most natural kick being a natural movement that does not require a special modification of the body using the same muscle groups as walking, running, and jumping.  Not only is this true but in actual application in both sport contests and also self-defense is the most utilized kick with it’s variations, being used roughly 60% of the time while all other kicks combined make up the rest of the 40%.  This alone makes it the most important kick to master.

General considerations:

  • The front kick should be executed from a stable and balanced position
  • It can be executed with the front leg as well as the rear leg
  • The movement should be initiated with a whip-like snap originating from the hip joint area
  • The foot should be extended frontally with the toes pulled away to expose the striking surface of the ball of the foot
  • The kick should also rise straight on a vertical plain corresponding with the arm-pit with the same-side flank of the torso as pictured
  • The rear-leg front kick is the heavy kick with the most power
  • The forward-leg front kick is the lighter, quicker kick similar to the boxer’s jab.  both have their uses
  • After sufficient practice the method should explore variations of speed, power and explosiveness
  • t full extension the front kick should be developed to its maximum.

The 5 Section Method

rkfk1rkfk4rkfk3

  1. First toe out with your lead foot
  2. lift the rear leg until the knee almost touches the elbow of the same side
  3. Extend the leg forward with a whip like motion starting at the hip until the leg is fully extended with the foot pointed forward as shown in the picture and the toes pulled back toward the body to expose the ball of the foot
  4. The leg is ingresses upon the exact same path that it egresses (cf #2)
  5. The the foot returns to the original position and the weight transfers approprately and balance is maintained

rkfk2rkfk5

This is the 3 Section method and should be performed slowly and methodically.  In the beginning the kick should be practiced this way exclusively if one is training at home or online to prevent pulling or tearing of tendons or muscles when performing the kick incorrectly.  In class always follow the instructions of the supervising competent professional instructor.  After obtaining command of balance, motor coordination, and a strong sense of coordination and control the kick should also be practiced as a single movement, relaxed, smooth and speedy with an explosive characteristic and a focused snap into the extension and appropriate tension in order to release all of the kicks energy into the target.  Avoid kicking too hard or using too much effort, this will actually lessen the power and impact of the kick by causing dissipation of focused power.

Be careful in your practice